Is it to early to start roasting Charest?
The date: I don't remember. Sometime in the summer of 1993.
The place: Skydome.
The event: An Argos game (I forget who they were playing)
The scene: Prime Minister Kimmy Campbell, deputy PM Jean Charest, and a bunch of us party hacks had travelled to Toronto for the game, Skybox courtesy of one of our corporate admirers.
The story: Drinks, drinks, chatting, laughing. The gentleman in the picture in the post below this one had had a few too many I guess.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, that we were all wearing our campaign t-shirts, with the words "Prime Minister KIM" on the front.

Back to my story. I don't know where the black magic marker came from, although I suspect that someone who I will refer to as KR was involved. But suddenly Mr. Charest took the marker to the t-shirt he was wearing, scribbling out the word "KIM", and started writing in below the words "Jean Charest". Ha ha. Those of us who supported his leadership bid earlier that year were tickled pink. I don't know what the rest thought, or what the PM thought.
What happened next could have caused serious problems if any of the thousands of cameras in the stadium happened to have been trained on our skybox, but the humour value have made it worth whatever fallout it might have caused. Mr. Charest walked up to the Skybox window wearing his Prime Minister Jean Charest t-shirt, and raised his arms...

OK enough. You get the general picture, and I'm going to leave the man with some of his dignity.

Good luck tonight Jean, I'm rooting for you. As, I would imagine, are the majority of the politically aware people in the country.