Here's a development I wasn't expecting in the Hockey standoff.

According to an Ipsos-Reid poll commiossioned by the Globe, CTV, and TSN, 52 per cent of Canadians who were surveyed said they blame the players for the strike, while only 21 per cent laid the blame with the owners.

Half of those surveyed think that the NHL season will not go ahead. Well, duh...

And approximately 2/3 believe that there will be no permanent damage to the league if a strike or lockout delays the start of the season.

Without getting out my tea-leaves, which are packed away someplace, I'm not going to be able to make any predictions. I will say that it is silly to run a poll on who is to blame, when both sides are obviously to blame, for different reasons. And I can understand the positions that both sides are taking, however without going into detail right now I will say that I find myself agreeing with the League's analysis of the situation. Playing in the NHL is not a nasty occupation, and does not require remuneration in the millions of dollars. Not when the result helps lead to the loss of teams in smaller cities like Winnipeg and Quebec City.

As Forrest Gump would say: "and that's all I have to say about that."