Horror Story

Haven't been posting since my computer contracted a virus the other day. Don't know how it got there, and since it started I have only gone online to search for solutions.
Yet somehow my computer is getting more and more viruses.
I've run Norton and Ad-Aware, now both are finding approx 150 objects with each scan, but can't fix the problem. I'll probably have to reinstall Windows, however right now I'm wishing there was a more secure OS that I could use.

I actually took Thursday off work to try to resolve the issue, but could not get fixed. Every time that Norton deletes the viruses they just reappear as soon as Norton is closed.

Help would be appreciated.

Update

Sat Morning 12:17 am: it looks like I may have gotten rid of the viruses. Relentless searching of discussion pages finally led to a solution that looks, tentatively, like it has resolved the issue.

I have to get up super-duper early in the morning, but I want to run a Norton scan.

Update to the Update

Scan shows my computer clean. Now the investigation begins into how this got onto my computer. I may have to put a password on it so that others don't use it while I'm at work.

But I can surf the net again without constantly being redirected to naughty websites, and pop-ups, etc.

Incidentally, rumour has it that Microsoft will be addressing this issue with it's XP service pack 2, expected out this summer.